In September, the family of Tyler Chase received devastating news: he had died from a drug overdose. But three months later, they received even more heartbreaking news – the body that was cremated in his name was not his. Chase had been staying at a rehab center and was sober for several months when he realized his credit card was no longer active. He went to authorities to resolve the issue, but was shocked to learn that a death certificate had been filed in his name.
When Chase contacted the Portland Police, they went to the rehab center where he was staying to investigate the situation. It turned out that a man living at the rehab center had died from an overdose and was mistakenly identified as Chase. His family was notified of his death and the body was cremated without proper identification.
Chase’s cousin, Tasha Rosales, was initially convinced that the news of his being alive was a hoax. But after raising over a thousand dollars for his cremation, she came to believe that it could have happened to anyone. The entire ordeal made Chase realize how easily he could have met the same fate as the man who had been mistakenly identified as him.
The Multnomah County spokesperson expressed deep regret for the misidentification and new procedures were put in place to prevent such errors from happening again. Chase eventually found work in Portland helping the homeless, hoping to make a difference and help others avoid making the same mistakes he did.